Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: Coaxial dipole

I recommend you read some of Robert Greene articles. He seems to be a pretty smart guy, not to mention mathematics professor at UCLA and also a musician.

My personal paradigm for a loudspeaker system is to reproduce the original recorded signal with minimal influence from the room of the reproduced sound at the listening position.

Some recordings sound like a live event because they are recordings on a live event. Others were generated in a studio, possibly purely electronically, and have no semblance of a live sound event. Of course no recording replayed through speakers, in my opinion, is remotely close to sounding like a real, live event as do binaural recordings through good headphones.

How did your speakers sound when you listened to them outdoors?

You ask many questions about my Sequence speakers. I'm not prepared to answer them all at this time, but have investigated each and every issue you mention. Here are a few comments:
1. The CSD on the midranges is excellent on a baffle and in the enclosure. Linkwitz himself liked the HDS variant of the driver and spec'd it into his Pluto system until they were no longer available. I purchased quite a few for my Sequence model.
2. The distortion on this particular driver is very low as I personally measured on a B&K 2012 and Listen SoundCheck system. Use 4 together in unison and the distortion is further reduced.
3. I have laser scanned at AuraSound many high-end 5 - 7" midwoofer transducers. ALL (paper, plastic, metal, carbon fiber, honeycomb, etc) begin their bending modes below 400 Hz. Some drivers behave uglier than others with increasing frequency. No cone driver that I have ever encountered and tested is a rigid piston in the midrange. A rigid metal or ceramic dome midrange might.
4. I recommend you and others read some of Harbeth's investigations into the behavior of cone materials versus frequency.
5. The Sequence midrange enclosures are purposefully braced, damped, and use acoustical absorptive material. How well they behave can be measured using energy-time and CSD plots.
6. Due to the gentle slope of the crossover between the midranges and tweeter, there is moderate overlap, causing further increased directivity up into the treble. Remember, I'm not using 24dB/oct slopes, so there are no abrupt changes in directivity. Only at around 8kHz is the tweeter doing most of the work and at this frequency is already down 5dB at 30 deg off axis. Together with the carpeting on the floor and there is miminal floor reflection of the tweeter's sound.

In the end what matters is whether one likes the sound or not. I have no dealer for the Sequence back east at this time, but you're welcome to hear them in Los Angeles.

Donald North

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.