Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: Coaxial dipole

Floor bounce being captured in the recording is highly recording dependant. There is no way to to accurately reproduce the recording in room, once the signal passes the amplifier enters the 3D power radiation of a loudspeaker system, unless it is an exact replica of the recording studio (loudspeaker/room).
The floor reflection may be one deviation, among a thousand. A comprehensive in room measurement of your speaker system vs the studio would quickly reveal that.
I have no idea who Robert Greene is, although I know what the absolute sound is. I do not read that sort of magazine.
I have heard speakers from each of those manufacturers. The Gradient being the best. Even those pale in comparison to an Orion, almost laughably so. Geddes used a Revolution when designing his Summa and it was a statistical dead heat in unsighted tests amongst a listening panel. I know those are are utter blasphemy in audiophile circles, to be avoided like the plague, but it would be nice to see an unsighted comparison of the Sequence, Orion, Revolution and Summa.
I don't think I would be suprised by the outcome.
I have no doubt that your speakers possess a lot of clarity, as expressed by some listeners. I would like to hear them myself.
I have never seen a set of measurements for them. On and off axis FR, DI, linear & non-linear distortion sweeps, *system* impulse response, etc.
How do you prevent sound re-radiation through the midrange cone diaphragm from inside the enclosure? Does your enclosure store energy? How is it released? Is the reverberant soundfield as linear in all directions as possible?
What about the impulse response of the mid driver is not shown in the FR? What is its relevance unfiltered?
What about the CSD? Is distortion as low as a metal cone *when used in the complete system, with filter network? Is the mid driver in breakup mode in its upper range? Are there flexing and bending modes? Is it behaving like a rigid piston? Why does a highly lossy medium best preserve signal integrity and minimize signal distortion?
I would still love to see the FR at varying vertical and horizontal angles with the high tweeter xo, where the tweeter is still near omni even with the small horn and a beaming mid.
I don't have any components other than wire between my amplifier and drivers, so I guess I'm a minimalist too :-).
The spaciousness of of a well positioned piston source dipole may indeed be less accurate to the recording, but more accurate to the illusion of live sound reproduction, which is what I'm really trying to accomplish, so I'll take the latter.
I have listened to my speakers outdoors, that is where I like to measure! Of course, I usually listen indoors, in an acoustically small room, which is precisely why I prefer a dipoles DI and power response.
Any Sequence dealers down in the South East?

cheers,

AJ

The threshold for disproving something is higher than the threshold for saying it, which is a recipe for the accumulation of bullshit - Softky

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.