Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Hmm...not quite....

You wrote:" it's the better audio engineers that use PURE trial and error subjectivism to figure out what sounds best " (My emphasis on pure).

No one uses PURE trial and error in any human field of endeavor, rather a talented designer uses all the knowledge he learned in his field to do his basic design, and only then does he move on to trial and error. PURE trial and error, I think, would be inserting random things into the box to see what happens...say...a donut for an amplifier device, or a wiener as a resistor. Or not even concerning yourself with such concepts as "resistance" "capacitance" and so on. Using Pure trial and error, I might design an amp with "corpucelence" as its operating principle....PURE trial and error is the proverbial ten thousand monkeys typing out Shakespeare by random typing.

Conversely, no engineer that I personally know "think that good sound ONLY comes out of calculations and specifications". Different people just draw the balance line in different places. Folk that have a lot to lose tend to be a bit more conservative I think. The reason why many engineers are conservative is that, in most engineering fields, mistakes mean death. You make a mistake on a bridge, and it falls down. (It is a Natural Law that bridges DO fall down, and the engineer prays that it is not HIS bridge that does so.)

As an example,I worked in combustion engineering for years; meaning the big gas and oil burners in industrial/power systems. A mistake meant people died. (First one would be my most favorite person, me!) So, yes, in that work I tended to be conservative. In my audio hobby, I tried most everything I could afford to do (mostly DIY) since I really had little to lose. (Except for the occasional melted voice coil from mucking about in feedback loops without the requisite math.) Even then I applied a filtering process, using those frontal lobes humans are so proud of!

What I am sure you meant is that the talented audio engineer is not afraid to buck the trend, to try something new. He may see the logic in something that others may have missed. Or, as Clark as written, he sees the entire system in his minds eye.

I am glad you like my signature! My signature reflects that fact that, 1) I have LOTS of opinions but few beliefs, meaning that opinions are subject to change with new data, 2)certainty is for those that keep their lives VERY simple, ambiguity is the nature of human reality.
Give Me Ambiguity or Give Me Something Else!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.