Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: Cryoing...

>>John Curl knows his math and sets up the basics of his designs with it. He could do no other. Then he uses the experience of many years in parts selection and layout to improve on that basic design. But an engineer cannot just randomly throw tweaks at a project; he has to have SOME rational for selection. No man can live long enough to try everything suggested, there has to be a filtering process. There has to be SOME logic to what he is doing, at least in his own mind.<<

Out of curiousity... would that be the same "John Curl" who admitted having heard the effects of the GSIC chip? As you're speaking for him here, have you asked him what that "logic" is? Because I think a lot of other people are asking... (but don't tell me directly, I don't want to know. Takes the fun out of not knowing...).

BTW, I agree that an engineer has to have a filtering process. I said as much to another poster here recently. But that process is no different for Peter Belt than it is for John Curl. So that's the part where you're wrong, if you're suggesting otherwise here, by dividing mathematical designs and applied theory. Belt -is- an engineer, and IMHO, it's the better audio engineers that use pure trial and error subjectivism to figure out what sounds best, because those are usually the designs that sound best. If that scares away the conservative engineers who think that good sound only comes out of calculations and specifications, so much the better.

>>No pure Subjectivists or Objectivists were harmed in the production of this post....<<

That remains to be seen...

>>Give Me Ambiguity or Give Me Something Else!<<

I like this!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.