Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

It is - you just don't see it

1) The difference between the soundfield as measured by a microphone, and read by the ear, accounts for a lot of the difference, from what I understand. This is the whole idea behind binaural recording/playback. And also ambisonics. And also soundfield recordings. And also multichannel. And also 3D audio. etc...

I could be convinced that the rest of the difference rests with mastering practices, such as compression/EQ/etc. If mastering engineers were targetting 120db playback with no dynamic range compression, it would obviously sound a lot more "live".

2) There is a *tremendous* amount of investment in this field. You just aren't aware of it. And it's quite likely that once they perfect the technology, we'll be using some system that nowadays would seem sort of ridiculous. Like headphones with head-tracked HRTFs, or soundfield reproduction with a few dozen speakers, or something like that. The strengths of 2-channel will be more fully defined, but its limitations to recreating the "live" experience will also be defined.

Tell ya what. Get an AES subscription, go for the E-Library access and start reading. That will tell you what audio researchers are currently working on. I did it a couple months ago. Best $200 you'll ever spend on audio!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • It is - you just don't see it - Axon 09:31:08 04/10/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.