Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: 21st Century Science

>>> "May, I have read a number of your posts and you are totally serious about sound.

Sadly, if you really want to know how things work, you have to start with what is known from a science perspective." <<<

Thank you for your courteousness Tom, but you really should have been more aware about our technical background before giving me a lecture on technical aspects of audio !!

Peter was a radio engineer in the RAF and after that he and I have been involved the world of audio for the past 52 years. 30 of those years involved audio equipment retailing and in manufacturing our own range of moving coil, orthodynamic and electrostatic headphones and loudspeakers !!!!!!!!

You say you have been involved with loudspeakers. I personally worked out and drew out an 8 ohm coil for an orthodynamic diaphragm, ready for etching, to fit the magnetic structure of the Strathearn orthodynamic panel speaker - whilst Strathearn were still cutting a quarter ohm coil - by hand - from aluminium foil and sticking it onto a mylar sheet - by hand !!! And, in addition, they then had to use a step up transformer to get this quarter ohm coil up to 8 ohms to match it into the amplifier !!!!

I have been involved in all aspects of audio, by Peter's side, for 52 years !! From the years of valves only (no transistors) and mono (before stereo).!!!

25 years ago our life changed. This was when Peter SUDDENLY found that he had the best sound he had ever had in his life !!!!! The rest of the story is well known.

So. Tom, in answer to your sentence "If you want to know how things work !!!"

I DO !!! But, thanks again for your courtesy.

Regards,
May Belt.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.