Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: Uh, oh...

I've heard some nice digital systems too. I just think with the problem of digitized audio playback, in regard to how the mind reacts to music, even with the best digital, the compromise is far greater than any tweak could counter.

A couple weeks ago, I played a locally-sold LP of Dohnanyi/Cleveland doing the finale of the Schumann 2. I've have a different performance of the same work with the same performers on CD. And even with the inner groove distortion, there is something going on which is the essence of what music is all about- Artistic excellence creating a complex tonal nuance triggering an emotional response that almost cannot be described in words. With the CD, I hear a fine performance, but nothing beyond that. The LP is a Concannon cabernet sauvignon, CD is merely red wine. With all the tweaks for CD playback, it hasn't made a dent in reducing this disparity, which I think has baffled audiophiles and engineers alike.

A great digital recording can close the gap somewhat, but again, it's impossible to restore what's lost. (The problem is for every recording that make me forget vinyl, there are about 30 that make me want to play vinyl.) There's just too much lost. With the best recordings, what's lost is minimized, but it's still substantial.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Uh, oh... - Todd Krieger 22:18:49 04/04/07 (1)

You can not post to an archived thread.