Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: He means he killed you but you won't stay dead! :)

Kerr - I have a chance to hear the Orion speakers this weekend. Unfortunately, it won't be in my own system. Still, it's a system I'm pretty familiar with so I'm looking forward to it.

The one variable you can eliminate is the recording. Bring along those CD's that you are intimately familiar with.

Kerr - I seem to recall you bought those after listening to planars for awhile? Or was it 'stats?

That is a gross understatement. I owned good ol' monopoles, went to planars then stats. Loved em but there was always that something missing. The dynamic power of real, live instruments (sucks having a brother in law that is a pretty good drummer). Horns at the time were (and still are, outside of Geddes, Danley and a very few others)much to colored though they had the real life dynamics in spades. Had that dreadful boxiness that was not there in planars/stats.
Went bipole. Close but still not there. Went back to DIY as I had when attending college (EE). Made my own fully active asymmetric bipoles with variable rear radiation via remote. Stumbled across the Orions (friend of a friend with some wacky new speakers).
Laughed that the solution had been in front of my face all along, but I could not see it. The planar/stat boxless openess and see through clarity with power and dynamics from the low distortion piston sources. Controlled directivity like a horn to reduce room masking. The price of course is it must have room to breathe - away from the front wall. Nothing that should stand in the way of a true music lover.
BTW, I want to be clear, being now a die-hard DIYer, my first thought after realizing I must have one - was how to modify it to my specific requirements. Hence the waveguide/ring radiator instead of the Seas Millenium (itself a stellar performer), etc., so mine is not a true Orion.
No matter. Hear it for yourself and decide if it is for you.

cheers,

AJ

The threshold for disproving something is higher than the threshold for saying it, which is a recipe for the accumulation of bullshit - Softky

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.