Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Your translation is inbedded in the age old debate and has nothing to do with what I am saying

"Until academe approves, which it won't until the imbedded resistance to any new idea has died off -- literally."

Academe? What are you talking about? my point was very simple, you can't talk about the science of something until there is some science to talk about.

"Remember what Lord Kelvin (he of the Royal Society) said: X-rays are a hoax!"

And when scientific investigation gave us worth while data what happened?

"Remember the concerted resistance to "continental drift"."

I can't say I remember it firt hand but I do know where scientific investigation has lead us on the subject.

"Remember the early fate of anaesthesia."

No.

"Resistance was not overcome by investigation,"

You lost me here. Are you saying that the scientific method properly applied has lead scientists to believe X rays were a hoax and continental drift is urban legend? Seems to me that science was the enlightening force and drew the right conclusions.

" because academe doesn't care to have its precious theories challenged."

What are you talking about? The very essence of science is to challenge the status quo.

"Resistance was overcome by a gathering body of evidence from those goddam independent outsiders."

Huh? This strikes me as revisionist history at best. No that isn't the case Clark. The most radical of ideas like reletivity and quantum physics had to endure the scrutiny of the scientific method as applied by the established community of scientific researchers. MY POINT is that in the case of audio nothing that audiophiles like to debate has been looked at by real scientific researchers.

"And so it must be in audio. Look not to the JAES for articles on advances in sound."

I have looked at numerous articles from the JAES and I have yet to find one scientific investigation into the validity of tweaks or the other topics so often debated in audiophilia.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.