Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Tubey changes the ground rules!

Well, I am not very good at mind reading. So now you want to change "accepted audio measurements" into the ones you have easy access. I'm not trying to be too hard on you, but when you start stating seriously the accepted measurements do not correlate with the sound, I want more precision. Why do I have to work so hard to get it out of you?

TG
"If rewording that to: "Manufacturers specs do not correlate with how equipment sounds" makes more sense to you, that's OK with me. But you're basically just restating what I said with different words. It's not a different concept."

Sorry, but that's simply and obviously incorrect. The logical comprehension and extension are quite different. You do not quantify manufacturer's specs with "some," and you also seem to expect a partial set of specs would indicate the overall performance of the amp. And of course, as Analog Scott and I have both pointed out, an amp does not make any sound (other than things like power supply hum or mechanical blows on it) except in a system. And the sound of a decent system is mostly due to the program material, the speakers, and the speaker set up in the room.

I don't see anything in the amplifier specs you provided that would indicate it would sound much different from lots of other amps, although it is very low noise--kind of looks like one of Dan's amps, but I don't have time to look it up. The damping factor indicates a low output impedance. However, I would definitely want to see the power specifications and the frequency response specifications. I would also like to see some actual measurements such as those made by BHK Labs or JA at Stereophile because from what is given, I have no idea whether the amp would be suitable for me or not.

Of course, this also shows that we often do in fact have access to measurements beyond manufacturer's specs, as some reviewers supply them. And especially, speaker reviewers' measurements can be quite helpful in differentiating speakers.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Tubey changes the ground rules! - Pat D 12:53:57 04/03/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.