Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: Who is fooling whom ? Stick to the topic, pls.

Hi.
“First off, have you used any so called "isolation transformer" at all? Or just hearsay.”

I have used them, mostly in lab work where they conditioned the AC for computers and test gear. I had one at home for a number of years, can’t day it made a difference though.

“Years back, I did use one, 1KVA custom-built like a tank, with static shield, & housed in a large shielded metal housing, exclusvely for my audio gears, feeding the dedicated power lines direct from my house fuse panel powering my gears only some 20ft apart.
Frankly, I am NOT impressed at all by its sound. It slowed down the sound bigtime & put up a thick veil over the music. The music came back to its life & rhymthm instantly again after the isolation transformer removed out of the system.”

Well, normally one experience would be enough to convince someone of the futility of an accepted technical solution in other areas of electronics. Further, unless you refer to putting transformers in the signal path, I am not clear how having a smooth, constant voltage sine wave, isolated from mains would cause “problems” like you describe.

“Don't overlook the ever exisiting parasitic capacitances btween the primary winding of the so called "isolation" powerline transformer & its secondary winding. It is the series-coupling capacitances plus the shunt-wire resistance/inductances of the ground wires of the equipment effectively form a highpass filter for the EMI noises ride through.”

I’m not overlooking it and neither do the companies that make that stuff, that IS a world (outside of hifi) where people measure everything they can think of.. IF hf noise is a problem, a parallel choke is a simpler fix.

“You believe what those power hardware vendors told you? I did but today I don't after this costly experience.Of course, one does not need to drop a huge bundle for exotic wires, but I would not use THHN, XHHW, RW90 cheapie types building wires to power my audio rig.”

Hey, I don't blame you, I would be suspicious of anyone selling to the hifi market.
It may give comfort to know that out of the miles and miles of crappy aluminum and copper wire your power goes down, that the last few feet of "special wire" could have some significant effect over code.
TD

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Who is fooling whom ? Stick to the topic, pls. - tomservo 11:11:48 04/02/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.