Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: And this is where, as a musician, I part company with audiophiles

Actually Kerr what you perceive is correct but its not, IMO, for the reasons you suspect.

One of the biggest misconceptions, IMO, is that equipment that measures less well but sounds oh so much better is somehow making "euphonic" distortions.

I think this is a crock and a way for people to wave away an unpleasant truth (unpleasant to those who would rather stick with an agenda rather than listen that is).

I too am interested in closing the gap between what I hear live and what I hear from my recordings...but only with recordings where I know that this is possible. A studio ablum like Dark Side of the Moon or some such thing has no realistic reference. It might be very well recorded but by no means should it sound like live music.

So, with the right recordings we must trust our ears to a large extent. If you are hearing that the perfect measuring speaker and amp are not sounding very close to live but the imperfect tube amp and horn speaker are sounding much closer to what you know live sound to be then the question should be, "What are the 'perfect' measuring devices doing wrong?" because clearly they are doing something wrong.

The question should be not if the amp has "euphonic" colorations or not but does it have AUDIBLE colorations or not. I would argue that many components that fail to sound realistic are either adding distortion that is audible and offensive OR they are simply missing information that is necessary to recreate the event acccurately (ie. loss of low level information and resolution).

The problem is that what KlausR thinks of as accuracy, ie. perfect standardized measurements, is not really the kind of accuracy we should be seeking from our hifi. It is fidelity to an oscilloscope and not fidelity to the human ear/brain mechanism. When this can be fooled completely then you will have true accuracy in audio.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: And this is where, as a musician, I part company with audiophiles - morricab 02:42:59 04/02/07 (1)

You can not post to an archived thread.