Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: So, your audio goal is exactly the same as Julian Hirsch's!

AS
"Multichannel is just stereo with more channels. It essentially works the same way. It still is an attempt at creating an aural illusion and it is still limited to a singular perspective.So the goal remains the same, unless it is being missused of course."

Well, not according to Wes Philips:

"It didn't matter how much we squirmed or moved our heads, the sound was spread evenly across the front of the room, and the spatial cues were coming not from behind us, but from all around us. And, it didn't seem to matter where we were sitting, the soundstage remain centered and huge, even well away from the sweet spot."

http://www.onhifi.com/features/20010615.htm

One could certainly say that this is creating an "aural illusion" but then mono does that, too. I've heard some pretty remarkable stereo: for example, the Ethera Vitae speakers project a good stereo image even if you stand further left or right than the speakers are--I wouldn't say it didn't change, though. But Wes Philips description does not read like "stereo with more channels," and the hardware and software required doesn't sound like it, either. No, it doesn't seem to work just like stereo.

You also don't seem to have shown why any of the goals KlausR mentioned are meaningless, either, as it would seem one could work towards them.

Besides, if I put on Eric Salzman's "The Nude Paper Sermon" (Nonesuch H-71231), "the record is not a reproduction of anything at all but is the work itself. Like a print or film it has been created to be duplicated in multiple copies." (From the record jacket).

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.