Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: You have hit upon THE biggest issue and misunderstanding in all of audio

"Accuracy to the original event is one goal,"

It is not a meaningful goal since stereo or even multi-channel recording and playback are not designed to do that. Again they are designed to create an "illusion" of an original event "from a single perspective." Huge difference.

" accuracy to the source (i.e. recording) is another."

That is an absolutely meaningless reference since no "recording" as a "stand alone" entity has no intrinsic sound of it's own. You have to use playback equipment to get any sound out of a recording so you are using equipment as a reference. Another tail chase in the end.

"I for one am trying to achieve the second."

How? What playback system do you use as your ultimate reference? And whay set that particular limit/signature on your reference?

"When a manufacturer claims that his speakers are the best sounding, this is difficult to verify."

Actually it is meaningless because speakers do not exist in a vacuum. They need a room and a playback system and a recording to have any sound at all. All of those things impact the sound so the claim has no context without all those other elements.

" When a manufacturer claims that his speakers are the most accurate you just need to look at the measurements."

Absolute balony. Speakers are transducers. They they turn one kind of energy, electrical into another, sound preasure. The idea of accuracy in speakers as a single component is absurd. At least with amps and preamps you can literally compare the input signal to the output signal and determine it's accuracy. How do you do that with speakers?Yet another tail chase.

" The fact that most speaker manufacturers don't provide measurements when asked speaks for itself."

Indeed. But perhaps not in the way you think. I suspect they often realize what an absurd idea accuracy is in speakers as a component.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.