Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

I have a question for you

Perhaps you can offer me some ideas.

I work at a hospital and because of a building expansion we have to replace the utility company’s transformers (in the vault) with larger ones. The engineering firm is telling us that when that is done many items will have to be replaced to meet the larger allowable fault current. Amazing that this wasn’t discovered until after the new building was built huh! In a hospital (in my area) all downstream devices must be capable of handling the maximum possible fault current so a "main beaker/fuse" solution won't do.

Given that I don’t wish to buy all new VSD’s for my chillers and pumps and replace a bunch of switchgear I wish to look for alternatives. The vault isn’t large enough to go with two banks of parallel transformers (4 in total). Do you know if a “current limited” transformer would meet the code requirements? I also understand some work has been done with high temperature super conductors as a solution. Have they hit the market yet? If so, are they a legal, viable, cost effective solution?

IIRC we would be talking two 1,500 kw, 3 phase 13,800 X 480 transformers in parallel. I need to stay at no more than 65K fault current levels.

TIA,
Russ

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.