Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: Such as? :)

Klaus,

While agreeing with your general point--that the notion of assembling a system that's consistently true to the original event makes no sense--I would take it even further. To me, "purist" recordings are often the LEAST transparent in that, in a way I can't quite explain, the make me even more aware of the positions and characteristics of the microphones. Somehow, putting a two-mic array separated, like ears, by a few inches at a position where someone might sit just doesn't sound the same as if you were sitting in that same location. Maybe it's the fact that there are now two sets of "ears" involved--yours and the mics--along, maybe, with the fact that mics and ears have quite different characteristics. In any case, the fact remains that in my experience the recordings that come closest to "live" are those that do the most convincing job of faking it (specifically, these are usually relatively simple, but nonetheless multi-mic'ed--setups).

Jim

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Such as? :) - Jim Austin 05:20:01 03/31/07 (1)
    • Fakes - KlausR. 22:41:09 03/31/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.