Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: today's measurements do NOT correlate with what we hear

Oh, don't they?

Then please tell me why measurement of amplitude vs frequency does not correlate with what human hearing is responding to, i.e. sound pressure level?

I agree that measurements like voice coil temperature (which is done in active speakers for triggering the protection circuits) do not correlate with what we hear. Measuring a speaker's weight or height won't tell you a lot about its sound. Measuring sound pressure level, however, DOES correlate with what we hear. And speaker measurements are just that, sound pressure level mesurements.

Re: Is it live or is it recorded?

You know that it's not live because of ambient cues. You know it's a recording because you KNOW that it's not Clapton sitting in your living room playing his guitar.

You seem to be defining accuracy as accuracy to the original event. Agreed. BUT, between you and that event is the whole recording chain where loads of errors are made. Your system now has to compensate for all those errors, which of course it can't because you don't know which errors have been made on a specific recording. Any audiophile serious about this issue, i.e. accuracy to the original event, would have to have at least an equalizer. Do you have one? I have one but I'm not using it. And even if you get timbre right you won't get the spatial aspect right. So it will never sound like live. It will possibly sound like live when you start recording everything in anechoic rooms, so the only ambient cues involved are those generated by your listening room. It also could sound like live if your listening room itself is anechoic.

I'm living in Holland and am not planning to come to the States any time soon. Anyway, you test has a flaw in that you kow that you are playing a recording. Do that test blind, meaning that you invite the person who has been recorded and put him and your system behind a curtain. Then listen.

Klaus

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.