Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Sometimes Someone Is Just Incorrect...

Hello Kerr,

I have a real problem with Aczel's belief that a "properly designed" amplifier has no sound of its own. An amplifier is just one of many different type audio components. Each and EVERY one of these audio components editorialize the music to a greater or lesser extent.

We all know that once an original acoustic event is recorded something is stripped from the music that makes it readily evident to all but the most inexperienced audiophile/music lover that they're listening to recorded music. To really experience just how much this editorialization effects the music one needs to simply record a live acoustic event. We'll call this first recording #1. Now play recording #1 and record it as it plays. Well call this recording #2. Now play recording #2 and record it as it plays. Well call this recording #3. Now play recording #3 and record it as it plays and continue like that till you have #10. Now compare recording #10 to recording #1. That will show you just how much audio components editorialize music.

I've yet to hear even a linestage that's so transparent it cannot be heard. Think of much more complex an amplifier is and you'll see why I consider Aczel's statement that a "properly designed" amplifier has no sound of its own. EVERY audio component has a sound of it's own, period. Hell there are many DIYers who can even detect differences in caps, resistors and inductors. Yet I'm supposed to believe when all of these are placed together in a circuit they somehow magically become completely transparent? Perhaps an even better example is a crossover. It's a lot less complex than an amplifier, yet place one on a driver and it can be heard as opposed to listening to that same driver without a crossover attached.

Kerr I have no problems with reviews I've read about the same amplifier sounding different by two different reviewers using two different systems. Because how an audio component interacts within a system will influence whether it sounds bright, dull, harsh, boring and muddy by different auditioners. I'll admit that synergy is important. But the fact that the amp sounds different in different systems only proves to me that the amp indeed has a sound of it's own and isn't completely neutral.

Thetubeguy1954

"If you thought that science was certain - well, that is just an error on your part." Richard Feynman theoretical physicist, 1918-1988

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Sometimes Someone Is Just Incorrect... - thetubeguy1954 11:28:03 03/30/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.