Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: Let's be really clear about something May

A very quick reply Jim.
With reference to what you call my snide remarks. I USUALLY try to cover my tracks to avoid any misrepresentation of my comments by saying "I am exaggerating here merely to make a point". I apologise for forgetting to do this.
Re Shakti Stones:-
>> "Could be the power of suggestion--yes, my Stereophile colleagues are also susceptible, as I am--but it's also possible that they do something. Wes is a great writer and I trust his insights on audio." <<

I made the point of stating that I accepted and believed that all the people I mentioned HAD heard what they said they had heard. I have no doubts about that - so I do not challenge their descriptions.
>> "Vinyl demagnetizers make no sense to me, but I haven't given it a lot of thought. Is MF wrong about those? Could be? Or there could be something else going on besides "demagnetizing." And I could be wrong." <<

I don't think Michael IS wrong about what he heard. I just don't think that the demagnetising is altering the information on the vinyl record. I think there IS something else going on. I believe that the improvement in the sound (the additional information Michael heard) was already in the room - that demagnetising the vinyl record changed the environment which allowed Michael to 'hear' (resolve) that information better !!! You say you haven't given it a lot of thought. Why not ? It is to do with audio and sound - the very subject you write about !! Aren't you the teenyist, weenyist bit curious ? I disagree with you about Feynman. HE was the most curious scientist I know - about anything and everything !!!

Regarding the 'special lacquer'. >> "If so, I would be stunned if a special lacquer made any difference." <<

THAT is IT - That is the crucial sentence. And, if you WERE 'stunned' when you discovered that a special lacquer DID make a difference to the sound - what would you do ? Ignore it ? Dismiss it as 'suggestion, the placebo effect, imagination, mood changes, audio faith healing or effective marketing' ? Or, would you carry out some experiments ? Would you try to find out why ? Would you look for an explanation ? If you could not find an explanation from within the conventional electronic or acoustic theory text books would you look elsewhere for an explanation or would you give up ? If you found that you could apply this 'special lacquer' to the central heating radiator in the listening room, to the wall lights, to the piano, to the perspex lid of the turntable - to this, and to that, and gain improvements in the sound each time - and be even FURTHER 'stunned' to the state of being devastated by what was happening - what would you do then ? After spending 30 years of your life making state of the art speakers and headphones, working completely within conventional electronic and acoustic theories - what would YOU do ? Keep absolutely silent for fear of being ridiculed or would you tell other people involved in the world of audio ? To see what they made of it all ?

>>> "Regarding your irrational aversion to explanations that invoke the fallibility of human perception. This seems to be a blind spot for you--you reject it too easily and with too little reason." <<<

No, Jim, I don't think it is me who has the blind spot. Nor do I believe that what we have discovered is akin to a religious belief or conversion.

I know the fallibility of human perception equally as well as you do - so if you do not reject it, then neither do I. I just know that it is not the answer to everything that is difficult or what appears strange at first. How I wish that 'suggestion etc and effective marketing' were that powerful.
Regards,
May Belt.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.