Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: My POV

Yes, I tried. Been there, done that, worn the Tee shirt which says "I tried to explain to Jim Austin."
Jim replied to you regarding blind trials. He said :-
>>> "Yes, tests stress people out and makes them perform worse (believe me; I've experienced that). But that can be overcome" <<<.

But I cannot understand how that 'stress' can be overcome if people are not aware of what can CAUSE that 'stress'. People who advocate blind trials obviously firmly believe that they can control every aspect of the trial and just change the one thing they wish to 'test'. Even after 25 years of research even WE do not know everything that could be having an effect !!

What we do know is that if you have a group (or even more than one person) listening in a room and one of those people tells a lie, then the sound will be worse for everyone in the room - not just for the one person telling the lie !! If one of those people THINKS a lie, then the sound will be worse for everyone in the room !! And the sound will not get back to normal until that person tells or thinks the truth !!

If you have a group of people, listening in a room, then that group will adjust their posture until a state of equilibrium (a state of ease) is reached. They will do this either by crossing their ankles - left over right or right over left. Or by crossing their knees - left over right or right over left. Or by folding their arms - left over right or right over left. Only when a state of equilibrium is reached, will the sound be at it's best. But, if any one person fidgets, then the sound will be worse for everyone in the room and will not get back to the standard it had been until the group readjusts itself back to a state of equilibrium.

Even knowing these things does not really help because you cannot instruct people, involved in a test, not to tell or think a lie and not to fidget !!! Instructions such as those alone would cause enough stress to make the test worthless !!!

People, whether just a few or a larger group, are sensitive to other people's chemical reactions !!
Sound is not just the audio signal travelling through the audio system and is not just the acoustic air pressure waves in the room - sound is what the working memory constructs as a 'sound picture' from the information it eventually receives.

I do not believe that I am telling you, John, anything you are not already aware of, nor do I think we are in a tiny minority (although it often appears so). What I think is that so many people are fearful of coming out of their 'comfort zone' - because it can be quite frightening.

Much easier to believe it MUST be "suggestion, the placebo effect, imagination, mood changes, audio faith healing or effective marketing" !!!
Regards,
May Belt.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.