Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: Anomalies and mechanisms

Hi May,

Actually, it's quite obvious that these theories you propose are attempts to explain something you observed. And it follows that I can pick apart your theories all I want to from a scientific standpoint (easy enough to do, but--I've realized--pretty pointless) and it doesn't change what you heard, or thought you heard.

I feel we've gone as far as I think we can go right now together, and I appreciate your patience. Since the "mechanisms" you propose make no physical sense, your suggestions are, to me, equivalent to paranormal claims. Can people see ghosts? Have people been abducted by aliens? Is it possible to transmit information directly via thoughts? Does god exist? There's no way to disprove any of these things, I'm not especially interested in doing so, and many people believe in them because, they say, they have experienced these things. None of them have convinced me--that would require something like proof--but I also don't expect them to care that I'm not convinced.

I've got a friend--a very smart guy, a retired college prof--who describes himself as a born-again Christian. He is not like many others who describe themselves that way. He is politically quite liberal (for what it's worth), despises our president, and is among the more thoughtful people I know. His religious beliefs are based on an experience he had once. I've never had such an experience, don't expect to--but I respect him too much to suggest, or to believe, that his deepest beliefs are wrong. I guess you'd say I'm a sort of agnostic in that narrow context. I defer judgment.

Yet the world is full of kooks, frauds, and charlatans--many out to make a buck from the open-mindedness of others and to exploit them in various ways--and they do not all deserve the same deference I pay to my friend. I guess I need to decide where to put you on that continuum. Or maybe I don't need to decide.

Jim

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Anomalies and mechanisms - Jim Austin 13:26:14 03/21/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.