Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Yo John

"When a reactive load is applied to the amp, there will be times when the output is positive, yet the negative rail devices are the ones with current within them (quadrant 2), and a negative out with the positive devices having current (quadrant 4)."

Are you sure about this? I have never seen any plots that would indicate that the above is correct.

"This is why reactive loads can be so difficult for the SOA of an amp...the voltage across the devices carrying current can exceed rail voltage, but yet the device must carry current."

I think this is more of a rarity than one might think. I am going to presume for a moment that you are talking about the peaks of music which are not very fast transients, so the rate of change is generally pretty manageable, and they are still well within SOA of the amp. Well er, uh, most reasonably well designed amps.

My general response to the above is that crossover/speaker design in general has realized that high reactive/inefficent loads limit their sales so designers are now more careful about this than in the past. I'ts not the major issue it was 10 or more years ago.

John: These days I don't think that much about this stuff, I'm tending mostly to other things, like ripping close to 500 CD's (uncompressed) and putting them on my hard drive, and trying to find the time to repaint the kiitchen.
d.b.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.