Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: But then should they be?

Hi Al,
I get the feeling you are overestimating the influence of external vibrations. I think the problem is that it is not really possible to make these FFT measurements when the amp is hooked to speakers. If you could then you would also get a convolution of the amp output with the back EMF from whatever speaker you have it hooked up to. Many speakers are highly reactive and would throw considerable energy back into the amp and therefore also the test measurement. You could simulate a speaker load, like the NHT dummy load, but again I think this throws too many other variables into the mix.

Obviously a suboptimal ground could cause a noise problem making the results dubious. I was using each FFT spectrums lowest "noise" floor as the minimum value in calculating the TAD. If I had gone with the lowest value for all the amps (the Audio Research in this case I think) some of the amps would have fared very poorly with a high TAD that may or may not be reflective on their sound quality. This needs to be worked out by more experimentation. Remember, this is not my theory, I am merely seeing how useful it is in implementation.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.