Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: Regarding Boyk and Sussman, Cheever, etc.

Andy, I appreciate anything that you can do. It is difficult to get real insight on these design problems. Of course, you can 'cover' them up with negative feedback, BUT if Boyk is correct, then we are not doing ourselves any favors.
I was attending engineering classes when Spice circuit analysis was first introduced. I was there to hear the active circuit models explained. However, my classmates and I knew that it was only an approximation of the real thing.
When I first worked with Mark Levinson we made complementary differential fet input stages. However, we found a different distortion spectrum when we used National Semi fets instead of Siliconix fets, yet they had the same part number. I know that the amount of higher order harmonics is very important, so I try almost anything to get lower. I don't worry too much about 2'nd or 3rd harmonic. It is just too much part of the music to make me concerned with .01% or less, BUT a little 5th, or worse: 7th or 9th harmonic, at listening levels, and I know that I have failed to make a truly successful product. This is why I measure individual harmonics down to .0001% with noise averaging to resolve xover artifacts that MUST reside in a typical IC op amp's distortion spectrum.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.