Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: Regarding Boyk and Sussman, Cheever, etc.

Thanks very much Andy. Many years ago I saw part 5, but not part 6, and there are many facts that are brought out in this series of articles.
In part 5, it is interesting that Baxandall proves that the parabolic approximation cannot hold up at low currents with a fet, and higher order distortion is inevitable when fets are operating well below their normal working current.
Another factor, new to me, was the curve in fig 3 of part six on p.69. In 1973, I had asked Dr. R.G. Meyer, a professor at UCB whether there was a distortion minimum for higher order harmonics such as 5th. Dr. Meyer already knew about the 3rd harmonic cancellation with 3dB of feedback and derived the fundamental equations in class. I was curious about the higher order harmonics as well. He apparently had not considered this as important at the time, but I certainly did. Baxandall also pointed out the polarity of the harmonics in part 6. This is something that most people do not know about, but it can be important in serious audio design. This is the sort of thing that we should be talking about and even debating, rather than the usual.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.