Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: I understand it beter now

>>> "We cannot respond to threats we are not aware of." <<

Can you turn it on it's head Jim ? Can you look at it differently ?

Yes, there is that way of looking at it and as you have suggested, we cannot respond to threats we are not aware of. What I have just proposed in a reply to another of your postings is that we (from the earliest of creatures) are programmed to make sense of our environment and, if we CANNOT, because of a multitude of mixed signals or because of a multitude of ill defined signals causing maximum confusion, then Nature dictates that we (from the earliest of creatures onwards) remain under tension !!! So, it may not be a case of merely responding to a 'danger' signal, it may be a case of not being allowed (by Nature) to relax because to relax without the environment being 'proven' to be safe, would leave any creature in danger !!! The most important thing overriding everything else is for us, (or any creature) to survive in order to replicate.

Recall how anxious one can get if you have lost something, if you have mislaid something. Completely irrational anxiety. Your life is not in any danger but something !!! is unresolved. Similarly, if you cannot remember where you parked the car. Your life is not in any danger and yet the anxiety until you find the car is irrational ! These are, in my opinion, just simple examples of Nature dictating that you have to make sense of your environment before it will allow you to relax.

>>> "How does our brain know it's there? Is it via one of the established senses, or something else?" <<<

I think it has to be something else, some primitive sense, because it has to have been successful long before the senses (hearing, sight, smell, touch, taste) as we know them ever evolved. The earliest of creatures, somehow or other, had to be able to sense their environment - in order to survive, in order to replicate - and obviously they were successful, or we would not be here now !!! So, that asks the million dollar question. How were those creatures (are we) sensing certain things ?
Regards,
May Belt.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: I understand it beter now - May Belt 11:30:44 03/14/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.