Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: Hello...........

Hi, Art:

I have been posting on Hi-Efficiency forum in the beginning stages, now I'm down to the 2nd and 3d order design issues, the basic designs are completed and I'm refining things, so I thought I'd see what the Propeller Heads think about a few issues, to get a fresh take on things . ...

Euphonic compression is used by several tube amplifier manufacturers to produce a "retro" sound, I was interested in finding out if I could put in just a little compression to get a "fat" sound, with the added benefit of maintaining a flat frequency response between the woofer and tweeter on the 1-2% of the loudest transient peaks.

I didn't want to use Zobels in this project, since these loudspeakers are designed to be used with flea-powered tube amps (and ss up to 100 watt rms), and I want to minimize power loss in the crossover. I originally wanted to use just a cap on the tweeter, and let the woofers run full range, but high frequency cone breakup and too much overlap forced me to add a coil on the woofers . .. I'm concerned that if I add a Zobel, it will suck too much life out of the few watts available on the lowest-powered SET amps, like 2A3, 300B, PX25, for example.

Best regards, rdb :-)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.