Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: A very simple question

Jim, I have no problems answering but I know that it would take a lot of 'toing and froing' - not the sort of thing for the 'quick response' method of Prop Head. Can I ask you to try to plough through the LONG discussion I had with some on the Stereophile Forum - the link to this I gave in a reply today to John Curl. Maybe there will be some answers there for you about how I am approaching this whole subject - which will go some way to 'filling you in' and then we can take it from there. At least, if you can, we will be further along that path than we are now.

I want to get you away from the thoughts that I am in the area of 'psychic'. It is an unfortunate word because it resonates with 'ghosties and goulies and things which go bump in the night'.

I can assure you that Peter and I are sane, sensible, down to earth, both feet on the ground Yorkshire Folk but have been thrust into thinking 'out of the box' in trying to explain just what is going on around us - and more importantly - what is affecting us - which in turn affects the way we resolve the musical information.

I am sorry to get so annoyed but Klaus comes over as believing that Peter and I are so shallow and so stupid that when we hear such as a piccolo which we had not been particularly aware of previously, we jump up and down shouting "Eureka - improved sound".

I do believe that there is something physical happening in the environment which in turn is having a physical effect on us which in turn is then physically affecting how our working memory is interpreting the musical information we receive from the ears.

Where are we (you and I) going to place Tinnitus ? It happens in the head. Is it therefore physical ? It can come and go. If it can get worse with stress is this a physical happening ? If, as some people have found, that it can be eased by doing yoga, is this also a physical happening ? What if people report it varying but MRI scans show no changes ? In other words, no measurements show when it gets worse or gets better - so are you prepared to believe what people describe ? All this goes on without there being any external (acoustic) stimulus. Are you thinking that Peter and I are (somehow) experiencing sounds (shall I be flippant and call them P.W.B. Tinnitus) - in the head - and believing them to be 'real'. That we THINK we are hearing greater height, greater depth, greater width, greater separation of instruments etc and describing them as 'real'.

Regards,
May Belt.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.