Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Klaus, What I find fascinating...

...is that in a weird way May seems to agree with you--and with me. In a post below, she writes:

>>Peter, by one of those chance events so loved in stories of discoveries, was already understanding that the "gremlins" were, in effect, adversely affecting the human being (the very person listening to the music) !! Similar results to what Enid had been observing but a different explanation !!<<

Where she departs from our common view, Klaus (and from the "reality-based community" as one of GWB's advisors described it) is that--if I understand--she still insists that these are real--not psychological--effects. Which is to say that you don't have to know that there's a piece of colored foil on your wall, or a picture of your CD player in your freezer, in order for these "tweaks" to improve the sound. I'm quite ready to acknowledge that the effects are "real" in the sense that if someone were to do an fMRI scan on your brain it would indicate a response very much like what it would be if there was an actual difference in the sound. But May is suggesting, or seems to be, that through some (psychic, I suppose, by definition) medium of communication, these bits of stuff, or circumstances, work directly on our brains to alter what we hear. It seems to me that there is, behind this an intractable, almost ethical commitment to the idea that whatever we perceive must be real, that our senses couldn't possibly deceive us. I don't know whether this is a religious or ontological conviction, but the concrete reality of what we perceive seems to be her point of departure.

I'm sure May will correct me if I've got it wrong.

Best,
Jim

Jim

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.