Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: When are we going to sit down and discuss the subject rationally ?

> rationally??
> With a faith based system.

There is nothing necessarily irrational about faith. As I suspect is the case for most people, I have had several long and stimulating discussions with intelligent people with strong religous convictions. The key point is that such people know what is based on faith and what is not and so can reason and converse in a normal and convincing manner. One may fail to accept the steps involving faith but since these are about matters that do not lie in the scientific domain (unlike audiophile beliefs) there can be no real dispute or resolution and so it is reasonable and rational to agree to disagree.

The difference with most audiophiles, although not all, is that they generally do not accept that faith is involved. Instead they prefer to believe their ill informed interpretations of their experiences and what they would like to believe over the explanations offered by established scientific knowledge. This would indeed be irrational if the audiophiles actually understood the basis of scientific knowledge and therefore what they are opposing but there is little on this site to suggest that they do. From a position of ignorance about what is going on and a refusal to find out one could make some sort of case that audiophiles are rational but it is of very restricted kind and, in my experience, precludes normal discussion/debate which I have generally found to be no problem with people with strong convictions based on faith.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.