Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: "it sounds as if I'm finding more and more detail"

When I'm playing a record several times in a row, without making any changes whatsoever to the system, I usually hear different details every time. Why, simply because each time my attention is directed to something else. The first time I may concentrate on the harp, the second time on the strings, the brass, the woodwinds, the next time I might notice all of a sudden that there is some kind of low-level low-frequent background noise, or tape hiss. Does this mean that these details were not there the time before? So what does the fact of discovering new details in itself mean?

Human auditory memory is notoriously bad, as one has to note when reading literature of perceptional science (such as Science 1965, Bindra : Judgements of sameness and difference : experiments on decision time), so that I would not attribute too much weight to statements of the kind "I painted the edge of the CD with that green pen and it improved the sound/made new details become apparent".

"There are too many things happening, too many things being reported as having an effect on sound, by too many people to continue to have a rigid, blinkered approach."

Nuclear fusion at room temperature "has been reported" yet in France construction work on the experimental fusion reactor has started, a project scheduled for 30 years, generating thousands of jobs in the region. Apparently "has been reported" is not quite sufficient. The basic problem with high-end audio is that there is, at no instance, more than "has been reported", something that could be considered as solid, convincing, irrefutable, repeatable evidence.

As long as there is no proof, the great majority of people will continue to have that "rigid, blinkered approach", which approach is, in my opinion, more than justified.

Klaus

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.