Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: Sam Tellig tried the Intelligent Chip and didn't hear a thing

I don't think so. I would consider not listening carefully a waste of time. What I have to avoid is to NOT hear differences, because I cannot, at first, consider what is changed as useful or important. I have been guilty of this over the decades, and continually still have to be reminded that I have not experienced or know everything that is useful in making a better audio design.
For example, 15 years ago, a technician brought some high speed rectifier bridges in, and said that they sounded better. I virtually chewed him out, saying that 60 Hz rectification does not need high speed diodes.
Then HP reviewed my Vendetta phono stage and found a slight problem.
A few years later Bob Crump, before he and I worked together, unilaterally put high speed diodes (16) where I had put 4 diode bridges in his Vendetta phono stage and insisted that there was an improvement in sound,
Then, a friend of mine, working at Comcast as a video tech, measured slow and fast diodes with a high frequency spectrum analyser, and found that standard diodes spit garbage into the megahertz region! He published his results in 'TAA' more than 10 years ago.
Finally, I modified my own unit, and now I offer a 'D' upgrade one of which is sitting on my workbench as we speak for some lucky Vendetta owner. Thank goodness that I was able to apologize to my technician, who told me first about diodes, and I had rejected his input, in the meantime.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Sam Tellig tried the Intelligent Chip and didn't hear a thing - john curl 16:10:21 03/11/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.