Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

You are pursuing a personal battle with AJinFla, not with objectivists

whatever that means--and you haven't specified.

Some measurements correlate with what we hear and some don't. I shouldn't follow you in adopting your misleading statements but sometimes I don't notice them. The ensemble of measurents of the sort typically found in audio reviews do not tell us how the system will sound, although they may tell us some things useful.

In any case, I prefer to have an amp that has no specific sound of its own, or as close to it as is practicable. You evidently don't. There is nothing in the specs for the Crown Macro Reference amp to sound different from a number of other powerful amps when not overdriven. That is also a correlation. What doesn't correlate so well are measurements and perception, which involves our own cognitive processing. I don't expect my amp to sound much different from lots of other good amps. For a simple stereo system, I look for speakers that will do what I want them to do. I don't expect my amp to correct their deficiencies.

I notice you haven't bothered to disagree with me when I pointed out that one cannot expect any single measurement to be sufficient to determine how a system sounds.

TG54
"Also why berate & disparage subjectivists when they use their ears as the final arbitrator, "IF" you as a rational objectivist also believe the typical measurements used today in audio don’t correlate with what we hear? If the measurements don't correlate what else should we use besides our ears?"

I'm sorry you feel berated and disparaged. As I said above, I should have questioned your formulation: Some measurements are more useful than others. However, those who use sighted auditioning do not rely on only their ears but also rely on their knowledge.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.