Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: Well..

>>Well, I suppose the challenge will always be how to seperate the wheat from the chaff, how do we identify valid observations? <<

In the longterm, science. In the short term...know people with ears you can trust?

>>Many audiophile claims do not stand up to any rigorous scrutiny. Ironically, Contrary to current audiophile thinking, I think it is the ear mechanism's much greater susceptibility to various biases not its sensitivity that make this a mammoth task and as such this will continue to make this fodder for mystic claims for years to come.<<

You won't get any disagreement from me on this. But the problem is made harder still by the fact that sometimes those folks are right and the scientists are wrong. You can't just dismiss 'em (well, some of 'em you can, but not all of 'em).

I just don't quite believe that John Curl is hearing things when he says he hears differences between caps. Or--however kooky it sounds--when Charles Hansen claims to hear differences between cable supports made of different kinds of wood, I don't exactly believe him (that just sounds too crazy), but I don't dismiss it outright either. Call me gullible but it seems to me that these are serious people with obvious technical skills, and the idea that they're faking it just isn't consistent with what I know (or think I know) about their characters (I don't know either personally, beyond our exchanges on the Internet and by email).

Keeping a truly open mind while not being taken in by hucksters is hard. It's a very delicate balance.

Jim

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Well.. - Jim Austin 08:05:29 03/09/07 (1)
    • Re: Well.. - theaudiohobby 08:12:30 03/09/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.