Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

I don't totally disagree...

>>Personally, I think a sizeable number of those that refer to themselves as audiophiles fall under this category.<<

I admit that I get exasperated sometimes with people on these boards that reject scientific notions outright. But I think it's much more common for people to fail to understand that what they're proposing IS mystical. As I've written before, here and in Stereophile, I don't understand those who would reject what we know and trust only their ears.

>>Will blind tests ever become popular in the audiophile community, I doubt it as it will reveal a reality that much too uncomfortable many of those engaged in the hobby, as it will show many audiophile staples as fanciful mirages.<<

It's interesting to me that, as that article indicates, sometimes things that techy folks think are impossible end up being not just possible but demonstrable via blind tests. In other words, some of those audiophile staples proved to be things that the measurement folks couldn't measure. I think blind tests have problems, but I think we've given up on them too quickly. But clearly we shouldn't be so quick to dismiss something people claim to hear just because 1. we can't measure it, and 2. it hasn't (yet) been demonstrated in a rigorous test.

Jim

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.