Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: I guess we perverts just can't read very well

"The rest of the world went solid state with negative feedback years ago"

Oooohhhh, so now we are using "the rest of the world" as a valid judge of sound quality?? Get real Dan, the rest of the world walked off with Ipods and MP3 so do you think their opinion in this matter is a good reference? The switch to transistors was primarily for convenience, reliability, heat reduction, and higher profit margins. It had little to do with sound quality, which was simply marketings way of getting people to try a new technology. It has taken SS a long time to get even close to really top tube designs in terms of sound quality (the standard metrics here (like THD) are close to useless). If you can't hear this then you don't hear half as well as your supposed pedigree would suggest.

I find it ironic that your amp doesn't measure particularly good by modern SS standards. You even make claims about distortion content (unverified of course) that put you closer to the subjectivist camp and yet you are so vehment against others who trust their ears.

I also find it ironic that you always point to Lynn Olsen, a bastion of zero feedback tube amps on the web as "good reviewer". Is that just because he liked your amp? Probably. I happen to take his opinion seriously and bought my Monarchy M24 DAC on his recommendation.

As to noise; my hybrid SET amp is dead quiet even into 100+db/watt horn speakers. Dead quiet as in no hiss, no nothing. Would your amp pass that test? Here is a quote from the review of my amps (KR audio VA350i) smaller brother (the KR audio VA340i):

"Even when turning up the volume, the amp proved to be as quiet as a mouse even over our 103dB efficient hornspeakers. No hissing, no humming, no noise at all. Marek has done a great job to further improve the original Antares design."

I have confirmed this with mine using 95db/watt Wilson X1 loudspeakers; no noise, no hiss, no hum, nothing with the gain full up.

The fact is that you are so out of touch with what is possible with the best tube and/or hybrid designs that you are talking from your A** rather than from experience.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: I guess we perverts just can't read very well - morricab 06:32:07 03/09/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.