Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: Neutral audio

> If you were correct in your assumption that amplifiers essentially
> sound identical, I'd be VERY happy.

Now, now. I have not said this and you know it. You have degenerated into being dishonest which is a shame.

It is somewhat more than an assumption that in controlled listening tests modern neutrally designed amplifiers (with usual caveats) cannot be audibly distinguish because it would be predicted by established knowledge about the audibility of distortion and the levels of distortion generated by such devices. It has also, of course, been determined directly by controlled listening experiments and even reported in the audio/audiophile press although probably not recently for obvious reasons.

> If my system could only be improved by better speakers and better
> room corrections, that would cut down on my overall frustration
> immeasurably. Reality intervenes.

I am afraid that reality will force you to work out what improved and better means to you. Getting a bit more technical knowledge may also help with your frustration since it is likely to modify your expectations.

> What do you use that you find so magically neutral?

I do not use anything that I find magically neutral. Lacking a belief in magic is obviously one problem but my sound perception is influenced by nonauditory factors in the same way as yours.

> Are these controlled listening tests performed with 30 second
> snippets of music or over a much longer period to ensure the amp
> doesn't introduce long term cues such as listener fatigue?

Chortle. It depends what type of audibility the experiment is investigating. Audibility is not a property of hardware alone. The results for a quick switch between sounds or relying on the long term memory of sounds will be significantly different.

> All of my serious listening tests use controls, although not
> necessarily the controls you require.

I do not require any controls and do not use any myself when I listen to the hi-fi at home but then my listening is for pleasure and so is almost certainly not serious by audiophile standards.

I am interested in what you would consider a control if you reject those dictated by the scientific method which I presume are the ones you state I require.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.