Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: Neutral audio

>If you have been happily comparing amplifiers...<

If you were correct in your assumption that amplifiers essentially sound identical, I'd be VERY happy. If my system could only be improved by better speakers and better room corrections, that would cut down on my overall frustration immeasurably. Reality intervenes.

>Why are you asking me since there is a fair chance that there is nobody who posts on this site that knows less about current commercial audiophile brands than me.<

I didn't ask you to limit it to commercial audiophile brands. What do you use that you find so magically neutral?

>I can tell you that most conventional solid state amplifiers above a fairly modest price by audiophile standards driving relatively benign loads in a benign environment will be audibly indistinguishable in a controlled listening test.<

Are these controlled listening tests performed with 30 second snippets of music or over a much longer period to ensure the amp doesn't introduce long term cues such as listener fatigue?

>In uncontrolled listening tests I would expect the amplifiers to sound different.<

All of my serious listening tests use controls, although not necessarily the controls you require.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.