Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: "...rather than what is in some old textbook." And remember, *every textbook gets old*. Why?

This reminds me of a suitable story about Paul Klipsch.
Paul Klipsch was very well educated for an audio designer, but he got his degrees in the 1920's. He was of the generation that thought the human ear to be monophonic phase deaf. This was believed by Helmholtz, and even in the late '30's was the rule. In fact, it was called 'Ohms law of acoustics' i.e. "Differences of phase produce no effect on the ear."
This was apparently quoted by Bell Labs at the time.
Well, the Klipshorn has BIG changes in phase between the drivers, and Paul always insisted that this time misalignment is inaudible.
Even when Richard Heyser gave his first paper on phase alignment in the late 60's, Paul K. got up from his seat and exclaimed: "I protest" I know this, because I was there.
In 1975 or so, the 'Proceedings of the IEEE' had an article by Manfred Schroeder that was a tutorial on the latest research on the human ear. Guess what? Bell Labs found that monophonic phase was hearable under many conditions, and that Ohm's law was incorrect. Richard Heyser said to me at the time: "Now, John, since this article has been published, everyone will know that monophonic phase is important." I then said to Richard at the time: "But Richard, who reads the 'Proceedings of the IEEE' except you and me?" And time marches on.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.