Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: In an ideal world...

What is physics, Geoff? Is it a set of rules in a textbook, backed by mathematical equations?
I know a number of physicists who trust their ears, rather than what is in some old textbook. Audio is like that. You must try things, rather than necessarily being able to explain them.
Electronic engineering is even worse. Engineers usually don't know, for example, what resistor noise really is, but they do know, (or can look up) the equations for estimating the noise of a resistor of a certain resistive value. They think this is enough, but it is not, when you want to know if a certain resistor will sound better than another equally valued resistor, in a specific audio circuit.
So far as I can tell, the laws of physics are continually changing as new discoveries are made. Certainly, they don't much resemble what I learned in college over 40 years ago, except for simple problems, even with matrix algebra and vector analysis thrown in.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.