Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: Your observations are the starting point.

Howdy

There are a lot of players that fail to deliver hi-res IMO, and a few that do better than expected. If you're ever in the Seattle area look me up. I could show you some music and you could offer your insights about possible improvements in my system. (We could also visit inmate MikeL whose system is always interesting.)

As to your questions: I've seen a lot of systems that have taken, shall we say, "interesting routes" to fixing some of their problems with Redbook. When you then give them a higher res source it's extra detail could simply be masked by these warts or even in some cases the extra hi freqs could have non-liniar effects in their systems. A simple example is the number of people using TacT or the equivalent which may indeed help their systems. When you give it an analog or DSD sourced input however you may loose more than you gain... I could go on, but you get the idea.

For a while after I first experienced SACDs I was a hi-res bigot but as I've improved my system I now see that Redbook has a lot to offer and that it has more detail and music than I ever expected, but still in my experience it's always a shadow of hi-res in a system similarly tweaked/optimized.

-Ted

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Your observations are the starting point. - Ted Smith 16:39:49 02/17/07 (1)

You can not post to an archived thread.