Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: Rethinking Quad

The conundrum you state had puzzled me for many years also, when comparing the reproduced sound with the live experience.
However, my conclusion was that the recording techniques do not necessarily replicate the typical concert goer's perspective. The typical recording session has the mikes way closer than the typical audience in a hall. You get the conductor's perspective, not the Hall perspective. The detail you hear in a recording is more in consonance with what a nearby performer would hear, not the audience. If you've stood on a conductor's podium while an orchestra is playing, you'll know what I mean.
I find that musicians, in general, listen to music is a very different way from most laymen. Sitting in an ensemble you will hear things that the audience will never hear: keys clacking, fingers popping, valves hitting their seats, etc.
While those things may be of interest to a player, most listeners do not want to hear those extraneous noises. Likewise, there are tones which have a different quality when listened to up close, that when heard a 100 feet away sound quite different.
I once heard an orchestral player auditioning a new horn, and he solicited comments from listeners but asked that they listen from 30 to 40 feet away so that the room acoustics could be adjudicated in the results.

Stu

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Rethinking Quad - unclestu52 11:50:35 02/14/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.