Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

These "mass generalizations" are beneath you Clark.

Clark:

C'mon.

Someone with esquisite taste in music and a good ear might not be able to build a good sounding amp. And a very talented engineer who is TONE DEAF might not be able to either.

But most people who do engineering in the audio industry usually have SOME appreciation for what they consider to be good sound.

Just because a lot of these engineers have agendas handed down to them by the marketing bosses in the ivory towers does not mean they LIKE what they are forced to build. To think engineers are just "out to screw the music loving audiophile" is a child-like view of the universe and does not account for the financial realities of people who work for companies whose credo is "give the masses what they want and profit - quality is not mandatory".

99% of the population thinks compressed 128K MP3's sound good enough and their small and portable size is worth any "negligible" sound quality loss. This is why audiophile quality sound is in jeopardy - not because of "inept engineers" out to ruin hi-end.

I believe there IS a problem in our world - a prevailent attitude about having "a stunning array of different crap" instead of a few really nice quality things. We don't want a few nice things. We want it all - and we want it cheap and we don't care if it comes from China.

I blame North American greed and the dilution of traditional values - not "audiophile hating engineers".

Besides. I too wish that 'the classics' and other good music was as popular as Britney Spears. But it's not.

Time to get over it. We're discriminating people. That's why we should cherish the properly recorded music we DO have available to us, and support the people (AND ENGINEERS) who value making this music available by BUYING as much of IT as we can afford.

There's really not much else we can do. We can only vote with our wallets.

But I will admit some engineers ARE DEAF and think that just because they graduated with a B.Sc. in electrical engineering they are an instant authority on good sound. These guys give the GOOD engineers out there a bad name. Audio is a talent and requires a blend of hard science with art and an ear for good sound. Failing that, you get equipment with amazing white papers that sounds... far less than amazing.

Cheers,
Presto

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.