Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: Normally I'd ignore your obsessive focus on this topic but I have a question for you

No, I am not a degreed electronic engineer. I graduated with a BA in physics 40 years ago, but I took most of the engineering courses in analog design, both undergraduate and graduate, over the next few years on my own time.
This might give me interesting way of expressing myself, as I did not have certain hard definitions hammered into my during my formative years.
However, an ideal square wave is composed of tones that roll off at 6dB/octave to infinity. Then the risetime is virtually instantaneous, and would be difficult to define.
After all, I use the calibration: 1ns, 1KHz square wave from my Tek 485 scope for testing cables, etc. 1 nanosecond is 10,000 times faster than what I hold to be important, but it is useful sometimes.
A 10us square wave is all that I ask for. You appear to want an 18-30us square wave as good enough. The spectral response will be virtually the same with either risetime, within fractions of a dB at the frequency extremes. This means that a signal that looks very much like a typical 1kHz square wave can have a 1ns to a 30us risetime that would be very difficult to note at a casual glance, but this implies a CHANGE in SLEW RATE of about 30,000 times. or 1V/us or 30,000 V/us. Which is it? That is why we have to DEFINE our risetime first, but not every 20-20KHz effective bandwidth will have the SAME risetime, yet a causal FFT analysis using a 20KHz cutoff will show essentially the same spectrum.
This is what I was referring to.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.