Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Even Peter Aczel likes Mapleshade recordings.

"I can honestly say that I have never heard more startlingly real-sounding recordings than his. They are closely miked, because that suits the program material, and the sound is in your face, as lifelike as if you were there. I have shut my eyes on occasion and could easily pretend that I was there. Is it because of “no mixing board, filtering, compression, equalization, noise reduction, multitracking or overdubbing,” as it says in the blurb? Maybe so, maybe not, but the sound speaks for itself."

----Peter Aczel, "Mapleshade CDs: Hog Heaven for Audiophiles."
http://theaudiocritic.com/cwo/Web_Zine/

Currently, The Audio Critic requires a subscription (that will change in January 2007), so I can't link directly to the article.

He doesn't think so highly of the music values. Richard Greene also thinks the recordings are usually great but the music is not so great.

The fact is that judgments about sound quality recordings and judgments about the efficacy of tweaks used to make them are separate issues. As Clifff points out, he seems to use good basic recording techniques.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Even Peter Aczel likes Mapleshade recordings. - Pat D 15:24:16 10/16/06 (1)

You can not post to an archived thread.