Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: Boy, You Opened Up a Can of Worms.... [-;

Todd, where do you get off in criticizing Otala without any evidence? The guy was a professor with a Ph.D. His knowledge runs rings around the people around here. When I worked with him in 1976, he RAN a medium sized govenment lab in Finland. I worked there for a month, and they had the best test equipment available at the time. His ideas on TIM were independently verified by ME by doing 100's of measurements of every circuit that we could find or think of. I had a dedicated technician, just for me, to make any measurement that I wished for, and give me a graphical output.
I personally bought the very FIRST Electrocompaniet power amp. designed by Jan Lostrow (sp) and Matti Otala for myself in 1975, BEFORE I even met Matti Otala, based on listening to it with Stax electrostatic headphones. It served me for 16 years, until it was destroyed in a firestorm in 1991. I now have another identical unit, and I listen to it every day. It is still a good sounding design, that has lasted 32 years since its first prototype at Phillips Research Labs.
I design amps for a living and invented many of the topologies in use in power amps today
yet I still have another designer's amp in my home, only because it sounds so good, that I am reminded to stay on my toes, when trying to make a cost effective design.
Now, Matti Otala is seriously retired, after suffering a stroke, and still has to endure this low rent criticism by people who have no idea of what he did, and how hard it was to get people to listen or even look at his measurements, and later, people tried to take credit for his efforts, and push him aside.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.