Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Pot calling the kettle black

You still didn't answer the question Dan and getting mad only makes you look as if you have no clue. If there is a bigger blowhard without backing it up on this forum than you (or maybe soundmind) then I don't know who that might be. BTW, did you fix all those amps you built wrong following the faulty schematic you sent to me?? Oops! LOL!

Shall I quote from the article you posted again to make it clear, what? ok I will:
"Secondly, the effects of this loss of damping on system frequency response is non-existent in most cases, and minimal in all but the worst case scenario"

I like this quote, loss of damping factor has non-existent impact in most cases. Remember you posted this not me.

"All this is well and good, but the argument suggesting that these minute changes may be audible suffers from even more fatal flaws."

I guess that puts old Soundmind down. He goes on about frequency response of an amp like a rabid dog neglecting the fact that his speakers probably are +- 5db or worse in his room. He thinks an old analog eq will fix that right up for him. LOL again!

"The differences that we see in figures up to the point where the damping factor is less than 10 are far less than the variations seen in normal driver-to-driver parameters in single-lot productions"

Driver matching is much worse than the effects of low damping factor.

"You don't read, you don't understand, and you have never made an attempt to understand"

Oh I do read and I think I understand this article just fine.

More serious than damping factor Dan is this suspicious high frequency behavior exhibited by all these feedback amps. ANSWER the question, Dan if you can why the amps behave this way. Explain to me the effects of a rise in THD with frequency as the amp struggles to get to 20Khz without a huge increase in distortion or rolloff. Think that distortion is benign 2nd order?? LOL for a third time!!

"miscontrue engineering facts to fit your belief set"

LOL !! I have no preconceived belief set, in fact I am at this moment listening to the what is possibly the world's only hybrid parallel SET that is using the tubes on the output and the fets on the input and driver stages. You know what? It sounds better than almost all other amps I have heard. Your worst nightmare to be sure and I didn't know what to expect either but color me impressed...even on my difficult Acoustats. Think I can't hear between good amps and bad with excellent electrostats?? Think again. THey ruthlessly spell out amp and preamp problems.

I have heard some SS amps I like and I would even give yours a listen (blind if you think me biased by our spirited debates) because I have heard exceptions to what is most certainly not a hard and fast rule. Of course those SS exceptions were all low to no feedback designs. AH! such is life. I tried to love the others, really I did but they simply don't sound like music for one reason or the other.

However; the more I listen to gear the more I realize that most SS (and most Class D and many tube) amps do something terribly wrong and I think it is connnected to how the feedback fails at high frequencies. You engineer circuits, I analyze data and what I see says something is wrong with the way the engineering is handling the problem of lowering distortion.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Pot calling the kettle black - morricab 14:39:05 08/17/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.