Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Human hearing

I believe that it would be a fundamental question to attempt to settle at the outset, since it appears that many audiophiles are still hard at work convincing themselves that humans (or is that just Golden Eared Humans) can hear beyond anything that science has for a good while now accepted as the limits of human hearing. The upper frequency extreme seems to be what is subject to question by some. That a circuit has to go beyond 20Khz to maintain linearity and all manner of other good things in the range humans can actually hear is not the debate really. As somewhat of a sidebar to this question, it would seem that the question of pure tones vs. harmonics will enter the picture. I presume that if a subject or a number of subjects cannot hear a pure tone at a given high frequency, it would be well nigh impossible to hear it as some harmonic of some other tone lower down the scale. Basically what I am getting at with this somewhat garbled last sentence, is this notion among audiophiles that somehow even if the pure tone can't be heard, magically, it can be if associated with other tones that can be heard.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Topic - Human hearing - middleground 07:35:03 11/12/02 (23)

You can not post to an archived thread.