Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: Technical question about vinyl

I'm not qualified to evaluate your statements about correlated noise, but you may be right about the reason some people do not like digital sound.

In my experience, those who claim to hate all digital simply do not like the sound of the particular CD playback equipment they own. Even if it is very expensive, based on what I've heard when visiting them, I have to agree with them. There are better and worse CD players just like in everything else. I have and enjoy the Wadia 861. It has a very strong analog output stage, which IMHO contributes to its good performance. Crappy CD players have crappy output stages and power supplies contaminated with correlated and noncorrelated digital grunge. Did you ever experiment with the Radio Shack CD3400? That device demonstrated clearly how a well-regulated supply could clean up the sound.

The WOW distortion from playback of LPs with off-center holes makes it impossible for me to believe there is a real performance going on in the room, regardless of how well the pickup and phono stage reproduce the sound. This distortion is very annoying to me, and I hear it on most LPs. I'm sure I had been trained to ignore it back in the days before CDs, just as I'm sure I'm well trained now to ignore whatever correlated noise the Redbook CD playback method produces, even with good equipment.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Technical question about vinyl - Leisure7 14:06:57 12/12/02 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.