Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

Re: Some Signal Processing advice???

Only what I mentioned above. Its not just the tools, its how you use them. I just mixed a Jazz album that I recorded live in Ronnie Scott's London. Its mixed in surround and is for a forthcomming DVD release. I used distortion on the Accoustic guitars to warm them up a little, and to make them sound more "real". Two hours of a live gig mixed entirely within Logic Audio, 23 recorded tracks as I remember, the mix ran 2 hours. I was assisted in the mix by a very good engineer (and personal friend) who has spent the last 15 years working in major residential studios with acts from Cradle of Filth to Joan Armatrading and as we both agreed, we would have been pushed to achieve the result we did in any of the best facilities in the world. Noise, signal degradation and pure ergonomics would have made the job much more complicated. We particulary discussed how in this day and age use of analogue machines was both costly in time/maintainance and materials, and how all the objections that had been there in the early days of digital were by and large irrelevant with the current level of technology available. Good microphones and input channels possibly being the only real exceptions. As for Hip-hop bass drum sounds, I would pretty much guess that any you hear on commercial releases, probably have never been anywhere near a analogue tape recorder, as almost all will be samples.

Good Luck

Roland

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.